It is generally a process of eruption of baby’s first few teeth through their gum line. It is also called odontiasis. This period is not easy for the baby and parents and baby suffer alike. So, it’s better to understand the whole process and act according to the experiences and literatures references given below.
So When Does Teething Process Starts?
Many mothers believe that the teeth begin to appear right after the child is born, but generally, the teeth begin to sprout in the fifth month of gestation. But there is no need to worry if the teething time table of your baby differs because it can be different for every baby.
The infant will get twenty teeth which are generally known as milk teeth. There are four front teeth, four molars and two canines in each jaw. The milk teeth begin to appear in 5th to 6th month and continues to appear until the baby is two-and-a-half-year-old. But if appearance of teeth is delayed back to a year, it is recommended to see a doctor. Order in which the teeth appear may vary and hence there is no need to worry is upper jaw appears before the lower ones and vice versa.
Common Signs Of Teething:
- The gums appear swollen.
- Slight coughing.
- Trying to bite or suck anything.
- Excessive drooling.
- Irritability and bad temper.
- Changes in eating and sleeping pattern.
- Red cheeks
There is a common belief out there that teething is accompanied with diarrhea, slight fever and chest infections but there is no correlation between them and hence these symptoms should not be neglected because they are happening simultaneously.
As far as remedies as concern there are two possible options, one is the dental care and other are home remedies.
- Massage your child gums or teeth with clean fingers or back of small cold spoon.
- Offer cold foods to your child like cold fruits, chilled yoghurt etc.
- Wipe drool away to prevent irritation.
- Give your baby plenty of cuddles.
- Do not stop breastfeeding because mothers milk has high amount of calcium necessary for growth of teeth.
- As far as medicine is concerned you can use acetaminophen (Tylenol) to dull the pain.
- Bio 21 is also recommended by many homeopathic doctors.
- DONOT USE IBRUFEN FOR CHILDREN UNDER 6 MONTHS OLD
- DONOT USE MEDICINES CONTAINING BENZOCAINE.
Also Read: Top Baby Bottles For Breastfed Babies
Please always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen.