Umbilical cord is a tube like structure that connects you and your developing baby. It can also be named as birth cord or a navel string. The actual purpose of this cord is to provide nutrients and oxygen to the baby in the womb. This cord is filled with a fluid called as umbilical cord fluid. A mother has to take care of this cord after birth, by cleaning this cord you can avoid any possible infection.
When umbilical cord will fall off?
The umbilical cord is detached from the baby and mother just after birth, this detaching of cord doesn’t harm the baby as it has no nerves to sense, however a part of this remain joined to the navel of baby and with the passage of time it dries up and falls off itself.
This is the time that you need to take care of it as it takes around 2-3 weeks at least to dry and fall off. As MamaBae you need to keep it dry and clean so that it must not get infected.
Few mothers complains that umbilical cord does not fall off even after few weeks. This can only happen because of infection, the root cause needs to be investigated and you may seek medical assistance.
Infected Umbilical Cord
Following are the few signs of a infected Umbilical Cord for which you must reach out out to doctor,
- Swelling around the navel region.
- Baby is feeling pain while touching that region.
- The navel region becomes red or a smelly yellow colored liquid emits from that region.
Cleaning of Umbilical Cord Stump
- Clean the navel region while changing diapers with alcohol swab.
- Do not pull it off force fully, it’s a natural process and will fall off on its own.
- Clean the navel region during the bath.
- Apply few drops of coconut oil on the umbilical cord which will helps this cord to dry up as quickly as possible.
- Make sure that diaper must not irritate that particular region as the chances of getting infection will be increased, so kindly fold the diaper from the above.
- Clear what every fluid come out from the navel region at the earliest, few drops of blood will emit from that region and it’s normal but if the amount increases than you must consult doctor.
The umbilical cord infection are not very common in newborns, but if it happens then it can be life-threatening, therefore taking care of it is the ultimate responsibility of a mother, treating things at the early stage helps it to recover well and give you and your baby a peace of mind.